Granville Volunteer Fire Department

Proudly serving Granville and the surrounding communities since 1951.

Fireworks Permits

The following is an excerpt from the Vermont Division of Fire Safety fireworks fact sheet.


Sparklers less than 14 inches long with no more than 20 grams of pyrotechnic mixture and novelty sparkling items limited to snakes, party poppers, glow worms, smoke devices, string poppers, snappers, or drop pops with no more than 0.25 grains of explosive mixture, that are in compliance with United States Consumer Product Safety Commission regulations, are now legal for sale and use in Vermont.

All fireworks, not including sparklers and novelty sparkling items, are illegal in Vermont except for permitted supervised public fireworks displays. A permit for a display is obtained from the chief of the fire department after it is determined by the fire and police chief that the fireworks display will be handled by a competent operator in a manner that will not be hazardous to people or property. Application for a permit must be made at least 15 days in advance of the fireworks display. A permit is non-transferable. Information on the definitions, prohibitions, permits, seizure and penalties in Vermont law regarding sparklers and fireworks are located in 20 V.S.A. 3131, 3132 and 3135.

In addition to the permit from the fire chief there is now an additional federal requirement for a public fireworks display. Effective May 24, 2003, a permit is required from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms (ATF) to contract for, purchase or receive display fireworks. The contract, purchase or receipt of Class ā€˜Cā€™, or consumer fireworks, as part of a public fireworks display, does not require an ATF permit, but a permit from the fire chief is still required. A municipality is exempt from the requirement to have an ATF permit to contract for, purchase or receive display fireworks.

What this means for Granville residents...

Anyone who would like to have any type of fireworks display is urged to contact the Granville Fire Chief  for all applicable permitting and advice on how to proceed. Keep in mind that  displays may be occurring on your property, but the noise can affect your neighbors miles away. This permitting process not only keeps you, the purchaser of fireworks, safe from potential fines and confiscation of your fireworks; it will also help you avoid disputes between your neighbors. 

This process is not meant to keep you from having fireworks displays. It is meant to help assure that displays are done safely and responsibly so no mishaps occur on your special occasion. 

Below please find links to all applicable permits and information for Granville residents who wish to display consumer grade fireworks.

Burn Permits

Burn permits are required for all open burning. Mostly this is required by the State of Vermont to assure that burning is not done in times of dry weather. Permits can be obtained by contacting James Parrish, Fire Warden or Dan Sargeant, Fire Chief. Contact information can be found on the "Contact Us" page.